This is me.....

I am a student in the College of Education at the University of South Alabama studying to become a collaborative special education teacher at middle or high school levels.
I am originally from Scotland and moved to Alabama to work at Camp ASSCA adapting activities for people with special needs in 1994. I have spent the past ten years working and traveling while putting my wife through school, and now have the opportunity to pursue a life long goal of becoming a special education teacher.
As a mature student that has been exposed to many cultures and views, I hope to expand the knowledge of students and develop a relationship with the community I work in. Having the ability to use and incorporate technology into my classroom will help me adapt instruction to suit the needs of every student. My goal is to focus on each child's ability and not there disability by making my classroom as universal and as enjoyable as possible. Below are some of the technology tools that I hope to incorporate into my lesson plan allowing students to connect with parents and the community.

Blogging

Blogging allows students to interact with people all over the world and messages are monitored by the teacher before they are posted. This creates a way of writing thoughts on a specific assignment and having other students read and comment on what has been written. Feedback from people all over the world in various classrooms can also be added and give children a global input and prospective that they will grow from. Imagine connecting with a class in Barcelona that is learning English as you learn Spanish. Using real life situations shows students what they are learning is important. Teacher's are in control of all comments and additions before allowing work to be viewed, meaning that connecting views from around the world can inspire or facilitate learning safely.

As a teacher this is a great way to have children work on an essay or subject throughout the year because the blog is not final and can be revised at any time. Blogging actually saves time and paper work for teachers and schools because the feedback is done by other people that you can easily and quickly monitor.