This is me.....

I am a student in the College of Education at the University of South Alabama studying to become a collaborative special education teacher at middle or high school levels.
I am originally from Scotland and moved to Alabama to work at Camp ASSCA adapting activities for people with special needs in 1994. I have spent the past ten years working and traveling while putting my wife through school, and now have the opportunity to pursue a life long goal of becoming a special education teacher.
As a mature student that has been exposed to many cultures and views, I hope to expand the knowledge of students and develop a relationship with the community I work in. Having the ability to use and incorporate technology into my classroom will help me adapt instruction to suit the needs of every student. My goal is to focus on each child's ability and not there disability by making my classroom as universal and as enjoyable as possible. Below are some of the technology tools that I hope to incorporate into my lesson plan allowing students to connect with parents and the community.

Personal Learning Network

I am a firm believer in surrounding yourself with great people. As I develop, becoming a outstanding teacher and role model, one of the biggest assets that I will have is professionals who are able to come up with creative lesson plans, tried and tested methods or approaches, advise, and problem solving techniques.
Every teacher struggles with their first year to be prepared entering the classroom and veteran teachers and professionals are a major assistance that can be leaned on for support; I have a small reliable group of people locally, nationally, and internationally that I can help and be assisted by that will improve my classroom continuously.
I will become a better teacher quicker because of the resources that I have attained in college making me an asset to any school I enter. Students can relate to different cultures and ideas by contacting various teachers and their students all over the world and learning first hand what it is like for them. Appreciating what you have and the value of education, can only make a student a better member of our community. Connecting with people gives us a chance to show how wonderful our community is and accelerate learning and respect.